Alcohol Kills: National Stats and Facts on Driving Drunk in America, Part I
You know that driving after drinking alcohol is dangerous. But do you know just how dangerous it is? Despite the public service announcements dedicated to the topic and the prevention measures taken in the form of informative classes in high schools across the country, car accidents caused by drunk driving are still a highly common cause of death in the United States. Too many still think that they’re okay to drive after a few drinks at dinner – and end up in a deadly car accident.
Do you know when to say “when”?
United States Drunk Driving Statistics
According to the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, the following occurred in the United States in 2009 due to drivers who drove under the influence:
- More than 33,800 people died in traffic accidents across the country – 32 percent of these were a direct result of drunk driving (more than 10,830)
- More than a quarter of a million Americans sustained injuries due to a drunk driving car accident.
- Almost 200 children under the age of 14 died in car accidents caused by driving under the influence of alcohol.
- More than 1.4 million American drivers were arrested because they drove a vehicle after drinking or using drugs.
- On average, one life is lost due to drunk driving every 48 minutes in the United States.
Losing Someone to Drunk Driving
It’s a terrible and devastating hardship to lose someone you love for any reason, but when the cause is as senseless and avoidable as a drunk driving accident, it almost makes it even harder to bear. Those who are left behind often end up succumbing to their own alcohol and addiction issues, creating a heartrending cycle that is difficult to break.
For loved ones who watch the process of grief unfold, it can be difficult to intervene. It may feel as if it is insensitive to shine the light on the alcohol problem in the face of such profound pain. But the fact is that when alcohol abuse continues, it can turn into addiction – and substance abuse and addiction can mean even more accidents on the road and lives lost.
If someone you love is in need of treatment for alcohol abuse, contact us at The Orchid today.
If someone you care about is drinking before they get behind the wheel, say something before it’s too late. Call now to talk to a counselor about our rehabilitation programs for women here at The Orchid.