Autoimmune Disease in Women
Autoimmune diseases strike the human body, causing problems with nervous system, brain, veins and a lot of other areas. They typically cause pain in the body and in some cases may be life threatening. Doctors note that the diseases are more common in women because of the high levels of hormones in their body. This increases after puberty and rises even more during their fertile years as the hormone levels reach new heights. The following resources cover a wide range of these diseases.
Connective Tissue Disease
The term connective tissue disease refers to any disease that strikes the tissues of the human body. This applies to connective tissues and the diseases can be quite painful as they strike the elastin and collagen in those tissues.
- Connective Tissue Disease : discusses what the disease is and how it affects the body.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
SLE also goes by the more common name of Lupus. This life long disease affects different parts of the body including the heart and lungs. Sufferers typically go through multiple stages of remission and situations where the disease worsens.
- Lupus Clinical Overview : focuses on the clinical aspects of the disease.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease characterized by swelling in the joints, particularly the wrists and knees. Those with the condition see the symptoms worsen over time as it slowly stops them from completing their daily activities. It is fairly painful.
- Arthritis Foundation : details the disease, treatment options and symptoms.
Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma)
This is a highly rare disease that affects the skin and tissue of the human body. It causes the skin to thicken and become harder. Once this happens, the skin begins feeling tight and the sufferer feels a high amount of pain.
- Scleroderma : gives the symptoms, risk factors and other information about the condition.
This disease typically presents as dry mouth, but the symptoms worsen as it continues to affect the immune system. People notice that their skin feels dry as does their throat and nose. Eventually it can lead to joint and muscle problems.
- Sjorgen’s Syndrome : discusses the latest news about the disease along with basic information.
These diseases cause problems in the voluntary muscles such as those found in the arms and legs. The person loses control of their muscle responses and experience aches or pains.
- Neuromuscular Diseases : focuses on treatment options and symptoms.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
MS attacks the brain and central nervous system of the body. It causes extreme pain and some find it difficult if not impossible to walk. They also experience problems seeing and with doing simple thought processes.
- Multiple Sclerosis : gives insight into the condition including symptoms and current research.
The disease affects the muscles and nerves in the body. They prevent the nerves from communicating with the muscles, which causes the muscles to twitch.
- Myasthenia Gravis : discusses the condition and the symptoms associated with it.
This condition weakens the immune system, which in turn causes problems with the nerves. The sufferers feel numbness in parts of their body and the numbness intensifies as the disease progresses.
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome : provides information on the risk factors and complications.
Diabetes is an example of an endocrine disease. These diseases affect the endocrine glands in the body, causing hormonal changes and serious physical problems.
- Endocrine Diseases : gives background information on this type of disease.
This condition attacks the thyroid in the human body. Those with the disease typically undergo hormone replacement therapy to increase the size of the thyroid.
- Hashimoto’s Disease : provides a broad overview on the disease.
Graves Disease affects the thyroid, making it produce more hormones than it usually would. It’s one of the more common autoimmune diseases.
- Understanding Graves Disease : gives a basic overview of the disease.
Insulin-Dependent (Type 1) Diabetes Gastrointestinal Diseases
These diseases cause stomach aches and discomfort in those with Type 1 Diabetes. Using a special diet and avoiding certain foods and alcohol is one of the easiest treatment options. If you know someone that has this condition and may be in need of alcohol rehab, please consider seeking treatment immediately.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
IBS causes pain in the stomach and intestinal track, which only dissipates when the individual has a bowel movement. They typically notice a change in the consistency or frequency of their bowel movements.
- IBS Health Center : provides information in a large variety of areas relating to IBS.
These conditions cause problems with the vascular system. It typically causes swelling or inflammation of areas such as the veins and arteries.
- Vasculitis Syndrome : provides a fact sheet for those diagnosed.
Hematologic Autoimmune Diseases
This type of disease is better known as anemia. Antibodies appear in the blood stream and systematically destroy the healthy red blood cells, causing the person to feel weak or tired.
- Autoimmune Hemolytic : focuses on the symptoms and overview of the disease.
Autoimmune Skin Diseases
This type of disease affects the white blood cells of the body. They infect healthy cells and multiple, causing the person to feel weak and tired. It’s particularly high in women, especially those with minority heritage.
- Autoimmune Skin Diseases : provides an overview along with symptoms, new and treatment options.
These diseases affect both men and women, though they’re more common in women. Those with a family history or certain risk factors should speak with their doctor about any concerns they have as early as possible. The earlier the problem is identified, the earlier treatment can begin.Further Reading
- A Girl’s Guide to Taking Care of Her Body
- Abortion Laws of The World
- ADHD Basic Information
- Alcohol and Addiction Studies
- Alcohol Effects On Your Baby
- Bipolar Disorder
- Clinical Depression: What You Need To Know
- Depression Treatment Centers for Women
- Guide to Pharmacology Terms
- Health Benefits of Meditation
- Help For Sexual Assault
- Personality Disorder Screening
- Reproductive Technology
- Self-Injury Information
- Sober Living Resources
- The Anorexia Resource
- The Anxiety Disorders Page
- The Feminist Movement
- Women and Prison
- Women’s Mental Health
- Womens Health Center Resources
- Womens’s Studies Resources